Over the last several months I have been incredibly honored to be on the Mother's Retreat Board. What exactly is that? The Mother's Retreat was created and inspired by an amazing woman from Salt Lake, Melanie Ballard. She is on the back row second from the left in picture below. Her whole purpose was to provide a fun retreat for Moms where they could come and leave inspired to be a better mother and have a greater understanding of God's mission for them. Go to momsretreat.org for more info. To be on the board, has been such an experience. For every meeting that has been planned, Melanie has brought in some amazing speakers. Our last meeting Lori Featherstone, from the YW's General Board came (she is on the back row in pink.)
Friday, September 18, 2009
Mother's Retreat
Lori's story in and of itself is so inspiring, but what makes her even more remarkable is her take away from her trials and her understanding of things spiritual. She has six sons, three of which are deaf. Her use of the scriptures as her parent how-to, and her testimony and love of the Savior spoke to me so deeply.
It's funny because when I was asked to be on the board I had no idea what the Mother's Retreat even was and barely knew the person (Dionne, front-row and co-chair of retreat) that asked me to be on it. Participating in this whole experience has taught me so much, but more than anything it has reminded me that not only does Heavenly Father love us and adore us, he cares about the specifics of our lives. Sis Featherstone talked about how the "Mantle of Mother ship" has been placed on our shoulders and that to be a Mother is one of the greatest gifts we will be given during mortality. It was a great night, and I couldn't love these women in the picture more. Each of them are fighting for what is right in their homes, their communities, and are so inspiring to me. Even though I have know them for a short period of time, they ALL are kindred spirits and I have drawn strength from their lives. I honestly look at them know that being a good mother is possible! It is possible to be in the world and not of it. I feel like Moms in general are so on the attack from the adversary. The pressures to work outside the home, to work out and look a certain way, for your house to look a certain way, for your kids to look a certain way is pretty demanding. Yet, the most important things like staying HOME, teaching from scripture, and sending friends home, shutting off the computer and t.v. are serious temptations that face us each day. I think when we gain understanding through the spirit and get a sense for what God wants for us and our children, then suddenly the light turns on and we are able to shut out selfishness and shut out the world.
The Mother's Retreat is the end of Oct. and I can't wait. I know that this has been a way for Heavenly Father to talk to ME. I will be eight months pregnant and probably not a whole lot of help so I KNOW it was through inspiration that brought me to this group! Thank you, thank you for this great opportunity.
Posted by Hillary at 10:03 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
maybe the mothers group could form an intervention for me dealing with a sweet naughty 2 yr old. ;)really, it's awsome you are on the board. you are a great mom and i draw inspiration from my dear sister in laws quite often. this mom buiss is quite hard at times!!
Such an amazing experience.. I'm glad you shared it with us.
Wait. You're pregnant?
I mean, everything you said is great and true, but
you're having a pregnant?
How did I miss that . . . and congratulations!!!
I knew you must be up to something great!!
Um......what's up with the pregnant comment?
Hil, you inspirer me! Like the NKOTB said, "I want to be just like you!"
Post a Comment