Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Memorial Day



It would seem that you can add to the list of absolutes; death, taxes............... and crappy weather on Memorial Day! (My life is obviously simple.) My kids were really excited this year to visit my sister Kristen's grave. They drew pictures and picked out flowers. But unfortunately the weather did not cooperate.

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that I would have to try and describe Kristen to my kids. Try and tell them how wonderful she really was, how her laugh instantly could make you laugh, how beautiful her voice was, how much she would have loved them and on and on. As my siblings talk about Kristen, it's amazing to me how each one of us had such a different relationship with her. We all love her so much and our family is just not the same without her. The scripture, "the worth of souls is great in the sight of God" takes on a whole new meaning to me as I feel of her abscence.

My kids were troopers. Here is to next year!!



7 comments:

Tara Huish said...

aaaw hillary that sister of yours is so lucky. you all left her a beautiful grave :). my mom said that in her ward today an older woman stood and bore her testimony about how her father died when she was 8 months old and how she can't wait to meet him and get to know him. isn't it awesome that we have the gospel and the comfort of knowing that we will be able to hear our loved ones laugh again?
happy memorial day!
Tara Huish

Krissy Lowe said...

I hear you about the awful weather. We need to get the kids together soon, Blake keeps talking about Ben too.

Will & Cheyenne said...

Some things in life are just tough. I admire your perspective and sensitivity, and I am so sorry for your loss.
On a lighter note, BABY IS A CHUNK! What are you feeding that kid??

Tara Huish said...

so i noticed that we are now added to your list of blogging friends. i myself need to learn how to do the same because i like it. the thing is i just clicked on our name and it took me to a very dark place. try it ;). i think you might have the link wrong!

yikes!
Tara

Jana said...

I still think of Kristen as a spunky little girl when we all went to Ricks. She was beautiful even then. And full of life!! I can't imagine what you all went through. No words could ever make it feel right. You are strong and I admire you for it. We all do.

Jacob F said...

Hill - I stumbled on your blog when I was looking for someone else and I had to take a look!

I had no idea that Kristen had passed away. I am so sorry for your loss. I was actually reading an old journal from the Ricks days a few weeks back and came across an entry about some of us hanging out at your place playing some game, and Kristen insisted that we play (I think it was) Uno with her instead. I finally gave in and played with her, and we had fun. I also remember that song I wrote for her -- she seemed so happy about it. A little short for her age, but fun girl! I'm sure you all miss her a lot.

All the best,

Jake F.

Paul and Christy Johnson said...

Hillary,
I didn't know you had a blog. I was so excited you commented on one of my posts. Your family is getting so big. Your post about kristen is so sweet. I was just thinking about her the other day. I can't believe it has been 4 years. I miss her, she did have an awesome contagious laugh, didn't she. Your daughter is beautiful. Keep in touch when you move to salt lake. What is Amy going to do without you. I email her frequently. Her home is GEORGEOUS!
Take care,
Christy
PS: no, jenny doesn't have a blog. I wish she would.